Wednesday 2 June 2010

Boss guitar pedal spares - Good Story!

Many years ago I bought a second hand Boss guitar pedal from a friend - at the time it had a broken potentiometer and missing knob, so didn't cost a whole lot. It's a Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer - nice pedal. Anyway, after at least ten years I thought I should at least attempt to sort it out, so to get a basic price I decided to phone Roland, who make Boss kit, to find out what they charged for the spares. I intended to get a basic price, then source the parts myself to get the price down, as was expecting the prices from Roland to be typical of manufacturer spares - i.e. over the top.

To my complete amazement, the price for the new pot and knob, INCLUDING postage was just over £5. I nearly bit their hand off! Amazing that in 2010, I could buy spares for a pedal that went out of production in 1991, and at a sensible price.

It took about 15 minutes to open the pedal, de-solder the old pot and solder in the new one, and the icing on the cake was that it actually worked afterwards!

Thanks Roland - Well done! You have at least one very happy customer!